Text spammers

I hate it when I receive spam text messages in my cellphone. How do these scheming spammers manage to hack our numbers anyway? Yesterday, I got an SMS telling me that I can claim my FREE insurance policy in Makati from this company called CARITAS. They even went as far as giving a person to contact, a landline number, the address where I can claim my insurance policy and a BFAD license. The end of the text read: God Bless. Ok. So these stupid text spammers think they can get away with anything by name-dropping the most influential of all being. Tsk. Tsk. Kilabutan naman kayo.
To begin with, I did not apply for any insurance policy of late. In fact, I am planning to have two of my insurance policies cut off because I feel (after years of paying) that it's completely unnecessary. But knowing how shrewd marketing people are, they won't give up my insurance policy without giving a good fight. I have had few attempts to call one of the insurance companies to inform them that I no longer want to be covered by their services and that they should stop charging me (through my credit card). Their response was rather dizzying. The stupid person on the other end of the line told me that "Sorry mam, it's not that easy to cut off your insurance policy. You need to submit a formal letter explaining why you want to discontinue the policy afterwhich we will review the letter within 30 days."
What the crap?! You're telling me now that I need to go through all that nonsense when all you needed was my confirmation (over the phone) for the policy to materialize two years ago? Kalokohan.
Anyway...
I received yet another spam text this afternoon claiming it was from Pulse Asia. There's no way to verify the veracity of this text but it reveals a list of presidentiables and their ranking. If the results have any grain of truth in them, then I guess I won't be going to the poll stations in 2010 as it has always been in the last two elections.
1. De Castro 19 %
2. Estrada 18 %
3. Villar 18 %
Fill in the remaining blanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom actually fell for one of those text spammers. The texter said she won an appliance from this store and told her to go to their shop in a mall down south. So, pinuntahan naman nya...it turns out na yung napalanunan nya is a P2,500 discount from an appliance that probably costs P20k-P30k...sabi ko nga sa mama ko, wag sya bastang maniniwala sa mga ganun lalo na't wala naman syang sinalihang raffle or anything.
... and yes, ako din, hindi bumoto in the last two elections, hehe. I lost interest in our democracy when I realized that a)the masa always vote for someone stupid b)the masa votes don't matter because some blokes are gonna cheat anyways. :(