Gift ideas, anyone?

My husband and I are still toying with the idea on what to give our eldest for Christmas. He's six, already in preschool, a smart boy, and has a mind of his own. He also happens to be a huge fan of video games which I am strongly opposed to. Aside from the fact that these games are mostly filled with gore and violence, video games take so much of his attention and time (sometimes even during school days) that we thought it best to limit his "playtime" and only allowed him to play with his PSP on weekends.
Recently though, his biological father (ok..now this makes it even more complicated) expressed his desire to give his son a PS2 as a Christmas present. My answer was obvious. A solid NO. A debate ensued afterwards.
My point was, he already has a PSP so what's the point of giving him a new game console? Besides he's only six and should be out in the park playing hide and seek with other children instead of spending the entire afternoon in deep concentration as if the fate of the world was on his hands!
I went on to point out to him that expensive gadgets such as a PS2 should be EARNED (through good grades, initiative, etc.) instead of giving it just like that. I don't want to sound like the Grinch here and I know that my eldest would be so delighted to receive one BUT I don't think now is the right time. Maybe when he's 10 or 12. But not six.
As much as possible, I try not to give toys to my sons unless we happen to dine at McDonald's or Jollibee. Christmas is still too far to stress about this one but if you have any interesting idea (it doesn't really have to be something tangible) then your comments are very welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sis-in-law has the same worries too...although video games have benefits (quicker reflexes, etc.) having an active lifestyle is still best for kids. How about a bicycle or a mini basketball set that you guys can install in the backyard. :)

Anonymous said...

Honga pala, mader. May reunion ang journ na batch natin...to be announced pa ang lugar, pero sa Dec. 13 daw. :)

CANDY said...

Yes a bike would be nice...that is, if you live in a subdivision. Maliit lang kalye samin at marami sasakyan so it's not an option for now. But thanks for the suggestion!

Oo, nabasa ko nga ung bulletin sa Friendster. Are you going? Pupunta ako, kung pupunta ka =D

Anonymous said...

Sige punta tayo. :) May discussion thread regarding this sa facebook...nagbobotohan kung san gagawin yung reunion...I took the liberty of voting for you, hehe. hope it's ok, kasi ung pagpipiliang mga lugar: yung mga malalayong QC bars, one makati bar, and tapsi...so, i figured, baka malayuan ka din sa qc so i voted the makati bar and tapsi for you. :)

CANDY said...

hahaha..mas nalalayuan ako sa makati pero okay lang. Actually I was hoping sa Cajun (Retiro) ang venue because it's a spitting distance from where I live. BTW, pde bang magsama? Alam mo naman ako, very dependent lalo na pag pumatak sa 8pm. Takot ako mag-commute. =D